Sunday, November 18, 2007

The great hair experiment - day 30


Is this the sight you want to wake up to? (Photo by alykat)

Surreal as it may seem, I've finally reached the grand finale. A month without using any hair products. I have succesfully managed using only water (well, there was that small experiment with vinegar, but that doesn't really count). To read how it began, click here.

To tell you the truth, when I first thought of this experiment I expected to see at least some results after a couple of weeks (OK, there were results, but not the kind I was looking for). And I was quite certain that after a month it'd be smooth sailing. I'd never have to wash my hair again. The success stories that I read convinced me that it could be done. They stories came, after all, from the eternal wellspring of wisdom that is the internet.

Of course, it obviously can be done, since I just did it. My hair does not completely clean itself, however. If I go more than a few days without so much as rinsing it, it looks and feels oily. In that sense this experiment has been a bit of a letdown.

On the other hand, I don't think I need to use shampoo or conditioner anymore. Washing with water every day or every other day seems to be enough, and I like the natural feel of the hair.

A month was probably too short a time period to show any remarkable results. Three months might've been more realistic. Then again, there were the horror stories of people who had dirty hair for five months, which doesn't exactly inspire me to try the same. Nevertheless, I've come too far to start using shampoo now.

I won't be posting about this experiment daily anymore, though I might update it every now and then. It's time for me to think of another inhuman experiment.



Digg Technorati del.icio.us Stumbleupon Reddit Blinklist Furl Yahoo

5 kommenttia:

Sabine Hielscher November 23, 2007 at 4:04 PM  

Hey, a really interesting experiment. I am doing a research project on hair care, as part of my PhD and would love to talk to you some more about your experiment - just wondering if you would be up for that?

JLL December 5, 2007 at 12:10 AM  

Yeah, sure. Sorry about the late answer.

Sabine Hielscher December 5, 2007 at 5:00 PM  

That is great! It would be great if you could contact me via e-mail (sabineh10@hotmail.com) so we could discuss things further. Or somehow else might be better for you? Thanks.

Tressless June 17, 2009 at 5:28 AM  

Hello, would you please contact me at hi@tressless.com? Sorry for latching on to an old post, but I don't see any other way to contact you directly.

Tressless June 17, 2009 at 5:29 AM  

PS-- this in regards to doing a guest spot writing about alopecia.

  © Blogger template 'Perfection' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP